The Department of Physics started its functioning in 1996. The Department offers a four – Semester M. Sc. programme (Two years duration) where the students at present can opt for one of the two specializations – i) Astrophysics and ii) Condensed Matter Physics, with laboratory classes. Research areas that are covered at present include – Astrophysics, Particle Physics, Cosmology, Chemical Physics (with application to biomolecules), Atmospheric Physics.The Department possesses a number of sophisticated instruments that includes 16 inch Mead Telescope, 14 inch Celestron Telescope, Astronomical CCD, Photometer, Ellipsometer, FTIR, UV visible spectrophotometer.The Department also has a cluster computing facility.
|Courses Offered||Duration||Number of Seats||Time Table||Syllabus|
|M.Sc. (by course work)||Four Semester||50||Time Table||Syllabus2015|
|M.Phil(by course work & dissertation)|
|Ph.D.(by course work & research work)|
Astrophysics Course – GIAN
- TDC B.Sc Syllabus in Physics(Pass & Hons)
- B. Sc. Syllabus in Physics (CBCS-2019 (Aug))
- M.Sc Physics Syllabus (2010)
- M.Sc Physics Syllabus (2015)
- Ph.D. Course Work Syllabus for Physics (2020)
|Name & Qualification||Designation||Area of Specialization||Contact & Email ID|
|Asoke K. Sen, Ph.D.||Professor||Astrophysics,Opticsemail@example.com
|Atri Deshamukhya, Ph.D.||Professor||High Energy Physics, Phenomenology, String Cosmologyfirstname.lastname@example.org
|B. Indrajit Sharma , Ph.D.||Professor||Condensed Matter Physicsemail@example.com
|Himadri Sekhar Das, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Astrophysicsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Utpal Sarkar, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Chemical Physics, Electronic Structure Calculationemail@example.com|
|Pradeep Kumar Shukla, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Chemical Physics, Computational studies of complex molecular systems including firstname.lastname@example.org|
|A. Senorita Devi, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||High Energy, Astrophysicsemail@example.com|
|Swarnadeep Biswas, M.Sc.||Assistant Professor||Electronics & Radio Physicsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bidhan Mahanta, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Nuclear Physics, Nano Physics, Biophysicsemail@example.com|
|Mahananda Baro, Ph.D.||Assistant Professor||Electronicsfirstname.lastname@example.org
Head of the Department
Prof. B. Indrajit Sharma
Alumni of the Department of Physics of Assam University are now serving as faculty members researchers in universities, colleges and research institutions in different parts of the country and outside and also in several industrial organizations. Many of the former students of the Department have also qualified in competitive examinations like JRF, GATE and GRE, and are pursuing advanced courses.
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
1) A Public Talk by Prof. Dipankar Das Sarma entitled “Energy crisis and wonder material” on November 28, 2020 (Click to download the Flyer).
2) A webinar on The Standard Model and Beyond from December 7 to 8, 2020 (Click to download the Flyer).
PG Admission-2020 related
1) List of approved applications for admission in PG course (Physics) 2020 at Assam University, Silchar campus (Click to download the list).
2) Instructions for appearing in the online written admission test (Click to download).