The Department of Anthropology started functioning at the Diphu campus from the year 2010. The Department offers a four-semester Post Graduate (M.A./M.Sc.) and Integrated MPhil and Ph.D. program in Anthropology. The Department has engaged in various anthropological research works, especially among the tribes of Northeast India.
The Department has been engaged in various research projects that would help students to get exposure in Anthropological research in the field of culture, health and development which help them to get employment opportunities in Research Organizations/Institutions both in Government and Non Government Organizations.
Several national and international seminars/conferences have organized by the department since its inception.
|Number of Seats
|Program Course Structure
|M.A./M.Sc.(by course work)
|Ph.D. (by course work and research work)
|Name & Qualification
|Area of Specialization
|Contact & Email ID
|Dr. Kh. Narendra Singh, Ph.D.
|Professor & Head
|Medical Anthropology, Tribal Studies and Applied Anthropology
|Dr. Somenath Bhattacharjee
- “Folk Culture. Environmental Sustainability And Emerging Challenges: A Study On The Karbis Of Karbi Anglong, Assam” sponsored by University Grants Commission, New Delhi.(PI-Somenath Bhattacharjee)
- “A Study on the Marriage system of Karbis of Karbi Anglong, Assam” sponsored by Department of Art and Culture, KAAC, Diphu. (PI- Kh. Narendra Singh)
- “Indigenous Knowledge Of Health Care Practices During Pregnancy, Childbirth And Postnatal Period- A Study On The Karbi Tribal Group Of North East India” sponsored by ICMR (PI-Somenath Bhattacharjee)
Further proposals on major and minor research projects are to be submitted soon.
During the past ten years the placement of the Department are:
- Several students of the department after qualifying UGC – NET are engaged in Ph.D. programme.
- Many students of the department received the Rajiv Gandhi Fellowships Ministry of Tribal Affairs Fellowship for Research program in the department.
- Passed out students got jobs at the Department of Art and Culture (KAAC), Karbi Anglong, Social Welfare Department, Govt of Assam
- Got engaged in teaching at Colleges and Schools
- Employed at Research Institutions at the National and Regional level institutions.
Department of Anthropology
8 Mile, Lumding Road, Diphu,
Karbi Anglong, Assam
PIN: 782462 (INDIA)
Phone Number: 91-9435506137