Since its inception in 1994, games and sports have been one of the important foci of Assam University’s endeavor to facilitate all-round development of student’s physical and mental abilities. Every year an Annual Social Meet is organized in the University where along with cultural activities, indoor and outdoor sports are held.
The University is currently a member of the Inter-University Sports Board of India and its teams participate in Zonal and All-India University Tournaments bringing laurels and prizes and medals for the University.
The Central Sports-complex which is in the process of coming up is expected to give a major boost to games and sports and to other extra-curricular activities of the students in Assam University.
- Assam University Sports Board (AUSB) is the principal Sports body of the University.
- Major function of AUSB is to plan and supervise sports and other co-curricular activities, liaise with AIU, affiliated colleges, local District Sports Associations, etc.
Activities of the Sports Board
- Planning and co-ordination of development and maintenance of sports infrastructure of the University.
- Administration and supervision of University Gymnasium.
- Organization of Tournaments/ Training / Coaching Camps
- Participation in Inter – College and Inter – University Sports Tournaments.
Sports Facilities Available
|Sl. No.||Name of Sports Facility||Size of the Facility||No. of Facility|
|1.||Football/Cricket Field||120 m X 75 m||1 (one)|
|2.||Basketball Court (concrete)||32 m X 20 m inclusive of free areas in four sides||1 (one)|
|3.||Volleyball Courts||22 m X 14 m inclusive of free areas in four sides||2 (two)|
|4.||Gymnasiums||12.5 m X 8 m (each Gymnasium)||2 (two)|
|5.||Badminton Courts at Netaji Subhash Manch Hall||32 m X 16 m inclusive of free areas in four sides||2 (two) courts|
|6.||Badminton Courts (Outdoor) at Boys & Girls Hostels, Deptts. of Chemistry, Philosophy & Microbiology||16 m X 8 m inclusive of free areas in four sides (each court)||7 (seven) courts|
|7.||Kabaddi/Kho Kho||36 m X 24 m inclusive of free areas in four sides||1 (one)|